University of California, Santa Barbara: Ph.D., Chemistry (2014)
University of Kentucky: B.S., Chemistry (2007) – cum laude, chemistry honors
CHEM V20 Instructor (Spring 2015)
Introductory chemistry at Ventura College; ~80 students
CHEM 101 Lab Instructor (Spring 2015)
Introductory chemistry lab at SBCC; ~24 students
CHEM 1AL/1BL/1CL Teaching Assistant (Fall 2009 / Winter 2010 / Spring 2014)
General chemistry laboratory at UCSB; ~24 students/section, 2 sections/quarter.
CHEM 153 Reader (Spring 2011)
Advanced analytical chemistry laboratory at UCSB; 8 students/section.
High School Chemistry Tutor (Fall 2009 – Winter 2010)
Private tutoring for one high school student in high school general chemistry class.
CHE 295, CHE 297 Workshop Instructor (Fall 2006 – Spring 2007)
Organic chemistry workshop class at University of Kentucky; ~10 students/semester.
Organic Chemistry Tutor (Fall 2007)
Private tutoring for three undergraduate students in organic chemistry class.
Research and Bench Experience
UCSB Materials: Postdoctoral Researcher (1/2014 – present)
Prof. Michael Chabinyc
- X-ray scattering analysis of packing and disorder in organic semiconductor blends (molecular alloys, organic glasses, photovoltaic blends)
- Molecular characterization of organic semiconductors by spectroscopy (UV/Vis, FTIR, UPS/XPS), optical and scanning probe microscopy, and DSC
- Surface characterization of organic semiconductors using AFM and UPS/XPS; self-assembled monolayer deposition and characterization
- Training and supervision for two undergraduate researchers, and for graduate students and postdoctoral researchers at synchrotron beamlines
- Communication of results and research strategies with collaborators
Outrider Technologies: Research Assistant (1/2009 – 5/2009)
Prof. John Anthony
- Synthesis, characterization and crystal growth of organic semiconductors and dyes (functionalized pentacenes) for inkjet-printed display applications
UK Chemistry: Research Assistant (8/2006 – 5/2009); Collaborator (6/2009 – present)
Prof. John Anthony
- Synthesis and crystal growth of organic semiconductors and dyes (functionalized heteroacenes, rylenes and cyanines); characterization by NMR, GC-MS, MALDI-TOF, UV/Vis.
- Materials characterization for assessment of synthetic target suitability for device applications
Kentucky Department for Environmental Protection: Intern (5/2006 – 8/2006); Chemist I (12/2007 – 1/2009)
- Analyzed samples for carbonaceous biochemical oxygen demand, total organic carbon, specificconductance, chloride, fluoride, ammonia, alkalinity, acidity
- Managed work in progress (sample inventory and analytical results) using Labworks database
- Wet chemistry experience in NELAP-certified analytical laboratory environment
- Developed process to electrodeposit semiconductor (CdSe) nanorods; characterized nanorod arrays using powder x-ray diffraction, x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, electron microscopy
UK Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry: Research Assistant (5/2005 – 6/2006)
Prof. Trevor Creamer
- Circular dichroism and fluorescence spectroscopic investigation of protein conformational entropy and protein aggregation in solution.
UK Entomology: Lab Technician (3/2004 – 5/2005)
Prof. Michael Sharkey
- DNA extraction; PCR; gel electrophoresis; sequence editing and alignment Management of laboratory inventory and shared supplies
- Training and supervision of an undergraduate assistant
Interfacial doping of organic semiconductor thin films. Sherman, J.B.; Anthony, J.E.; Chabinyc, M.L. in preparation
Amorphous thin films of binary isomer mixtures. Sherman, J.B.; Chiu, C.-Y..; Fagenson, R.; Hawker, C.J.; Chabinyc, M.L. in preparation
Crystalline alloys of organic donors and acceptors based on TIPS-pentacene. Sherman, J.B.; Moncino, K.; Parkin, S.R.; Wu, G.; Anthony, J.E.; Chabinyc, M.L. in preparation
Role of Crystallinity of Non-Fullerene Acceptors in Bulk Heterojunctions. Sherman, J.B.; Purushothaman, B.P.; Kim, C.; Parkin, S.R.; Collins, S.; Anthony, J.E.; Nguyen, T.-Q.; Chabinyc, M.L. Accepted, J. Mater. Chem. A
Fabrication and electrochemical photovoltaic response of CdSe nanorod arrays. Schierhorn, M.; Boettcher, S.W.; Ivanovskaya, A.; Norvell, E.; Sherman, J.B.; Stucky, G.D.; Moskovits, M. J. Phys. Chem. C, 2008, 112, 8516.
A new functionalization strategy for pentacene. Anthony, J.E.; Gierschner, J.; Landis, C.A.; Parkin, S.R.; Sherman, J.B.; Bakus II, R.C. Chem. Commun., 2007, 4746.
Photosensitized explosives. Sherman, J.B. U.S. provisional patent 61/867053 (filed 08/17/2013)
Suppression of crystallization in thin films of mixed isomers. (Poster) Sherman, J.B.; Chiu, C.-Y.; Fagenson, R.; Hawker, C.J.; Chabinyc, M.L. (11th International Conference on the Crystal Growth of Organic Materials, Nara, Japan, 2014)
Functionalized Pentacene Alloys: Implications of Substitutional Disorder in Molecular Crystals and Thin Films. (Oral) Sherman, J.B.; Moncino, K.; Parkin, S.R.; Wu, G.; Anthony, J.E.; Chabinyc, M.L. (MRS meeting, San Francisco, 2014)
Organic semiconductor alloys. (Oral) Sherman, J. B. (Chemical Sciences Student Seminar, UCSB, 2013)
Pentacene alloys: structure and characterization. (Poster) Sherman, J. B; Wu. G.; Parkin, S.R.; Anthony, J.E.; Chabinyc, M.L. (Center for Energy Efficient Materials review, Santa Barbara, CA, 2013)
Mixed crystals of functionalized pentacene derivatives. (Poster) Sherman, J.B.; Wu, G.; Parkin, S.R.; Anthony, J.E.; Nguyen, T.-Q.; Chabinyc, M.L. (10th International Conference on the Crystal Growth of Organic Materials, Limerick, Ireland, 2012)
Beyond polymers and fullerenes: small molecule bulk heterojunction organic photovoltaics. (Oral) Sherman, J.B.; Purushothaman, B.P.; Kim, C.; Anthony, J.E.; Nguyen, T.-Q. (5th International Workshop on Advanced Materials Science and Technology, Hanoi, Vietnam, 2010)
Toward soluble n-type organic semiconductors. (Poster) Sherman, J.B.; Anthony, J. E. (ACS Central Regional Meeting, Covington, KY, 2007)
Nanostructured photovoltaics using porous alumina templates as structure-directing agents. (Poster and oral) Sherman,J.; Schierhorn, M.; Moskovits, M.; Stucky, G. (NNIN REU Convocation, Santa Barbara, CA, 2007)
Awards and Scholarships
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (2010 – declined in order to accept DOE award)
Community Outreach and Involvement
Scientific Consultant, The Spicy Gourmet
(7/2014 – present)
Scientific Consultant, Last Question
(7/2013 – present)
Guest Speaker, SCOPE (Science as a Career Outreach Program Experiment)
(7/2010 – present)
Dow Distinguished Lecture Series Director, UCSB Graduate Students for Diversity in Science
(2011 – 2013)
President (2005 – 2006), Vice President (2006 – 2007), UK Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society
(2003 – 2007) Reactivated chapter; received ACS Honorable Mention